13 Nov Alibaba’s Singles Day Brought In $25 Billion in China
Alibaba Group Holding Limited announced that U.S. $25.3 billion (RMB168.2 billion) in gross merchandise volume (GMV) sales was settled through Alipay on November 11, 2017, an increase of 39 percent compared to 2016.
Mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 90 percent of total GMV.
“More than US$25 billion of GMV in one day is not just a sales figure,” said Daniel Zhang, chief executive officer of Alibaba Group. “It represents the aspiration for quality consumption of the Chinese consumer, and it reflects how merchants and consumers alike have now fully embraced the integration of online and offline retail.”
Key highlights from the 2017 11.11 Global Shopping Festival
The Alibaba Economy at Scale
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was RMB168.2 billion (US$25.3 billion), an increase of 39% compared to 2016
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was approximately 90% of total GMV, compared to 82% last year
- More than 140,000 participating brands and merchants
- Alipay processed 1.48 billion total payment transactions, up 41% from 2016, and processed 256,000 transactions per second at peak
- Alibaba Cloud processed 325,000 orders per second at peak
- Cainiao Network processed 812 million total delivery orders
- The first delivery arrived 12 minutes and 18 seconds after midnight
Globalization: Power of the Chinese Consumer
- 60,000 international brands and merchants available to Chinese consumers
- 225 countries and regions with completed transactions
- 167 merchants each generated more than RMB100 million (US$15.1 million) in sales, 17 merchants surpassed
- RMB500 million (US$75.4 million) in sales, and 6 merchants surpassed RMB1 billion (US$150.9 million) in sales
- Top countries selling to China include: Japan, United States, Australia, Germany, South Korea
For additional content from the event, please follow the Alibaba Group official Twitter account at www.twitter.com/AlibabaGroup, or visit the Media Resources page on Alibaba corporate news site Alizila with background, factsheets and content related to this year’s 11.11.
The 11.11 shopping festival began in 2009 with participation from just 27 merchants as an event for merchants and consumers to raise awareness of the value in online shopping. Last year, nearly 100,000 brands and merchants participated in the global shopping event, with consumers spending US$17.8 billion (RMB120.7 billion) during the 24-hour period.