23 Aug Under Armour Introduces UA Sportstyle Category With Collaborations
Under Armour launched a new UA Sportstyle category through collaboration with a global team of “Pioneers” who will hold a series of forums designed to empower communities.
“From live shows and master classes, to pop-ups and on-field workshops, the philosophy of every Pioneer project remains the same – celebrating the incredible things that a DIY spirit can achieve in the hands of the people creating in their own communities,” Under Armour wrote in release.
Pioneers and their related cities include:
- Philadelphia: Under Armour football athlete Malcolm Jenkins will “relay his message of what it means to be more than athlete in today’s climate and how to play the game differently at an upcoming private event with a youth football team.”
- Tokyo: The seven strong Tokyo Vitamin crew, founded by Vick Okada, will be “reimagining some elements of a traditional Matsuri festival in collaboration with visual, collage and video artists such as Kei Saito, Yuji Kamiyama, Jeron Braxton and Jun Inagawa.”
- Hong Kong: A partnership with Hong Kong-based Arthur Yeti of Yeti Out will support young and aspiring musicians with limited opportunity for sports and nightlife culture. Through VOLUME, an activation with Yeti Out and UA Sportstyle, these issues will be explored through a live radio show with skate legend, Brian Siswijo of 852 store, DJ and Boxer, Fergus Heathcoate and James Yao, of XXX gallery.
- Seoul: Founded by brothers Terrence and Kevin Kim, Seoul based fashion label IISE is committed to building collaboration with Seoul’s creative communities. The IISE team with UA Sportstyle will host an event smashing cultural inhibitions to the backdrop of music, traditional food and sports with guests from all different creative backgrounds active in the local scene.
- Amsterdam: The ØLÅF CITIZENS x Under Armour Draft Day will focus on coaching the young design community and creating a space for entrepreneurs to share their stories on art, music, brand building and fashion. Guests to include Rens van Strien, known for combining his love of global football with fashion, art collector Christiaan Luiten and book publisher Gunifort Uwambaga.
- London: The EJDER OPEN FORUM with Under Armour will feature a curated convention featuring the new conductors of the creative community – 3D artist Catherine Taylor, fashion designer Eastwood Danso and object maker, Jobe Burns.
- Berlin: In a partnership with Ghanaian-German rapper’s Serious Klein, THE KLEIN EXPERIENCE with Under Armour is a multimedia experience, including a short film screening of his trip to Ghana which inspired his album, an exclusive performance from Seri, a masterclass on music insights and a power session with a personal trainer – all based on his strong belief around the power of performance to change lives.
The Pioneer project will also see the UA Sportstyle Pioneers collaborating with Boiler Room’s Low Heat-style series to create live events in four cities around the world – Tokyo, Hong Kong, Berlin, and London, the city where Boiler Room first made its name. Each event recreates the DIY aesthetic of the Boiler Room’s early days with a rugged, spontaneous ethos that encapsulates the spirit of the Pioneers.
The Pioneer Forums project kicks off with a film that follows three Under Armour Pioneers in Seoul, London and Tokyo.
UA Sportstyle will be led by a new pinnacle shoe, the UA Forge 96, releasing globally on August 31 for $120 USD.